Something special is happening across branches of All Bar One in London this Christmas season.
Now, we don’t often find ourselves in an All Bar One, because there are so many other places to explore in London. However, this time of year, we will inevitably end up among the work christmas party crowds heading into (and stumbling out of) this chain. And one thing that is drawing us even closer to these bars is the promise of some new, experimental cocktails that sum up 2017 in a glass.
Until New Year’s Eve, cocktail lovers can order one of four delicious cocktails from renowned mixologist Missy Flynn, who previously worked with Rita’s Dining and Hawksmoor, before gaining the title of ‘Most Wanted’ in the drinks industry.
To make Christmas extra special this year, Missy has taken a look back on 2017 and created an outstanding selection of drinks inspired by this year’s culinary trends. From Foraging to Turmeric, Missy has wrapped this year up in an alcohol soaked box and presented her creations to All Bar One, in association with spirit brands like Baileys, Tanqueray Gin, Smirnoff Vodka and Captain Morgan Rum.
Missy’s creations are:
Missy Flynn’s Baileys Blush
Missy Flynn’s Baileys Blush has all the indulgence and over the top naughtiness you’d expect from the famous Christmas drink. Missy has turned Baileys into the seriously instagrammable shade of millenial pink – and who can resist a glitter-dipped cherry garnish? We can’t resist a Baileys or two this time of year, and if you want your Christmas Instagram game to be on point, you can’t go far wrong with millenial pink!
Missy’s Root N Mule Smirnoff
For something a little more balanced, Missy’s Root N Mule Smirnoff serve contains beetroot and vegetable juice, with a shot of vodka to give it some festive flair that will keep your vegan friends and family happily merry this Christmas. The combination of booze and managing to feel ‘healthy’ with your choices never fails to win us over!
Missy’s Tanqueray Forager Smash
Of course, if 2017’s trend for all things foraged floats your boat, you’ll love Missy’s Tanqueray Forager Smash. Experimental, refreshing and totally on-trend, you’ll find this botanical cocktail served over crushed ice with foraged and floral accents that lend it creativity you won’t find in your usual G&T.
Missy’s Turmeric Sour
While we’re on the foodie theme, you can’t have missed this year’s turmeric explosion? The superfood has been hailed the hero of 2017, so Missy has mixed it into a fantastic Captain Morgan cocktail. Her Turmeric Sour is fun, flavoursome and SO hot right now. Tastebud tingling and cheek-suckingly sour, it’ll be a Christmas party hit for sure.
Missy Flynn, says “I’ve really enjoyed being able to reflect on 2017 through exploring some of it’s key trends within these drinks. What’s great about observing trends take shape is understanding how or why people have taken to them and within these four drinks it’s easy to see what is appealing. Turmeric is said to have many qualities, has the most amazing vivid yellow colour and adds an exotic twist to a simple drink. Making Baileys millennial pink was fun, and also reflects the fun-loving and empowered women who I hope will drink it. Wild, natural, foods are prominent in kitchens and with the forager smash we’ve created an opportunity to play with those fresh ingredients and make something really beautiful. Finally, the Root N Mule is a simple take on the Moscow Mule using the amazing natural earthiness of beetroot, which is an ingredient I love because it gives so much colour and depth.”
You’ll find these exclusive cocktails at All Bar One branches nationwide until New Year’s Eve 2017, but if you’d like to have a go yourself, here are the recipes, have fun!
Smirnoff – Root n Mule (serves 1)
- 50ml Smirnoff Vodka
- 40ml Juicy Roots, beet and veg juice
- 15ml ginger syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura
- Top with ginger beer (appx 100ml)
- Garnish with cooked beetroot or candied beetroot
- Add Smirnoff Vodka, root juice, ginger syrup to a cocktail shaker or jam jar.
- Fill with ice and seal, then shake.
- Strain into a glass over fresh ice, top up with ginger beer and 2 dashes of angostura bitters. Finish with slices of cooked beetroot, ideally candy beetroot if you can find it.
Baileys Blush (serves 1)
Trend: Marble, Pink
- 35ml Baileys Irish Cream
- 50ml half and half cream/milk
- 15ml Cherry Heering
- 12.5ml cherry syrup
- Garnish with Raspberry dipped in edible glitter/ gold
- Add Baileys, half and half, cherry brandy/Heering, syrup and ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake hard!
- Double strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass, use a tea strainer to remove any small shards of ice so the drink is nice and smooth. Roll raspberry in edible glitter or gold until it reaches your desired level of glam, cut a slit in the base of the raspberry and rest it on the edge of the glass.
Tanqueray Forager Smash (serves 1)
Trend: Foraging/ floral
50ml Tanqueray London Dry
- 25ml lime juice
- 20ml sugar syrup
- Mint leaves
- Pea shoots
- 100ml soda
- Garnish with pea shoots, viola flower and mint
- Fill a tall glass with ice, add the Tanqueray London Dry, Lime juice and sugar syrup. Stir to mix, and top with soda water. Add a little more ice if needed. gather all your herbs and flowers and toss into a rough mix, dress the drink with this mix, scattering a few extra flowers on the top.
Captain Morgan – Turmeric Sour (serves 1)
- 50ml Captain Morgan Spiced Gold
- 75ml Funkin Sour mix
- 15ml ginger syrup
- 1/4 bar spoon turmeric
- Lemon twist and mint sprig to garnish
- Add the Captain Morgan Spiced Gold, sour mix, turmeric powder and ginger syrup to a shaker or jam jar. Seal the shaker or jam jar and holding it closed, carefully dry shake so that the liquid begins to mix and emulsify the drink, building a froth. Open the shaker, add ice and then shake again. Strain over ice into a tumbler. Using a zester, take the peel from a lemon, and snap it over the drink to expel oil from the skin, resting the peel in the glass. Clap the mint between your hands to release its aroma and then place inside the drink as garnish.